November 2, 2006

Ricardo Palma

I teach english, I don´t know much, but monday through thursday from 8-1 i teach 1-10 graders at Ricardo Palma Elementary. These poor kids don´t know alot of english, so that makes me feel better for not having a teaching certificate (not that i need one here). Their last teacher was a Peruvian who taught french and english, but i am not sure he had a certificate either, but hey i got one on him for being a native speaker, i didn´t know that "What it is time?¨ was a corredt sentence, but in one class i have he marked student´s notebook correct along with 17 other completly wrong sentences. I have a lot of work to do, first fixing all the mistakes and then hopfully helping them retain good pronunciation and communication skills....we´ll see.
I am learning a lot of spanish due to the fact that the majority of my students don´t understand more than ¨what is your name?¨ in english. I get paid just under $100 a month, not much but it gives us more than plenty of spending money for here.
I have taken on private lessons too. No students from my school, but a few from shawns patients. and i make a lot more doing that. I am having a blast spending time with kids here and getting to know them, they are vey patient with my lack of spanish, and i with their lack of english. we have fun.

2 comments:

Candace said...

I miss you Stina. I was just telling Mike how I want to be one of the cool kids that lives in a foreign country. Then I was reading your blog, realizing how very comfortable I am with a humidifier in Eva's room, a washer and dryer downstairs, amazon.com, and pizza delivery. Even when we go eat foreign the food is pretty predictable. Love you.
You should backpack back to Michigan instead of Oregon around March. You're great. I hope you're happy.
Candace

Mike Laughead said...

I would totally ace your class! I know way more than "What's your name?"

From what I have heard most of the people teaching English in Latin America are of the same caliber as the guy who used to teach your class. Just try to do as well as you can. Also, make them watch movies. I don't think many of them are dubbed in Spanish so they would be hearing English the whole time.

Good to read about you.