November 29, 2006

A Latin Temple


Our Thanksgiving was spent eating tuna sandwiches and oreo cookies during the first of two horribly, uncomfortable bus rides; no leg room or airconditioning and the people here don´t like a cold breeze so we couldn´t even have our window open! The buses were far less comfortable then the one we originally traveled to cajamarca in, HOWEVER we quickly learned the sacrifice that the members of the church make to attend the Lima temple once or even twice a year. We were happy to be able to be with people from our ward and another ward in Cajamarca. The bus in the picture of Shawn and I is definitly not our bus, it looks nice and comfortable. The family we are with in this other picture in the Pacha´s. He is the Bishop, she is the Primary President (i am now a counsler) and Ceilo is their beautiful, about to turn 9, daughter. We get to spend a lot of time with them and we have a lot of fun. Yanet is my favorite and only friend here, she is the one who got me the teaching job at Cielo´s school, which i quit about a week ago. I didn´t like the lack of structure in the school, and because none of the kids understood english and my spanish is far from great, it made it very difficult to communicate and teach. Unfortunatly the teacher before me returned to teach english, which he doesnt understand, but at least he can communicate better with the students, even if he thinks it´s important to teach them words like; golf stick, vaulting horse, dorsal and zodiac signs no less. Obviously things you must know in order to communicate in english! I get a good laugh at it. I sure miss those kids, but since I have taken a few other private teaching jobs and making more with less hours, so Shawn and i get more time together.

No comments: